Sunday 22 April 2012

Sticky Toffee Pudding

Whenever I eat out, nine times out of 10 I'll get the Sticky Toffee Pudding. And if I don't, it's only because of a legally-binding contract with someone else at the table stating that I'll get a bite of theirs. I love the sweet, sticky satisfaction that oozes from each mouthful, which is why I like to make it at home sometimes a lot. This recipe is from an M&S book but I used a different sauce recipe - I'll post both and you can decide which one you want to try, but both are yummy.

Sticky Toffee Pudding
(buy the book here)


serves 4


75g sultanas
150g dates, stoned and chopped
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda 
25g butter
200g dark brown soft sugar
2 eggs
200 self-raising flour, sifted


for the sauce: 
25g butter
175ml double cream
200g dark brown soft sugar


for the sauce I used 175g/175ml of each ingredient, melting the butter and sugar, removing from heat then adding the cream, then simmering gently for 5 minutes. 


Put the sultanas, dates and bicarb soda in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water and leave to soak. 
Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a 7inch square tin. Beat together the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs and fold into the flour. Drain the soaked fruits, add to the bowl and mix. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin. Bake for 35-40 minutes. To make the sauce (see note above for alternative) melt butter in a saucepan over a medium heat. Stir in the cream and sugar and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment